Thursday, June 7, 2012

The first book I wish to review is Half-Price Homicide by Elaine Viets.  I have to say that this is the first time I have read this author.  The book was in a box of books a friend of my sister's brought to my mother to read.  Because she had several mini-strokes awhile ago she is unable to use her left hand very well so it is hard for her to hold a hard-back book.  Thus, I brought several home with me.  This book was included.  I started reading Half-Price Homicide before school was out.  As I started to read the first chapter I was a little apprehensive as to whether I was going to like it.  But I kept reading and the more I read the more I liked it.  Ms. Viets characters are very well rounded.  They are definitely not static, flat characters.  The author has a since of humor that comes out in her writing.  The story is about a young heroin, Helen, who works at a consignment shop for customers who like the high-style without paying the high prices.  But when someone is murdered in the shop our heroin is right in the middle of the investigation. This is a hilarious read from beginning to end.  If you like mysteries, funny stories and surprise endings then I believe you will enjoy Half-Price Homicide.  I certainly did.  

I love many different types of books.  My favorite genre is mainstream fiction.  Some of my favorite authors are Larry McMurtry, Richard Russo, Nicholas Sparks (and no he does not write traditional romance), John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, John Grisham (met him about 15 years ago), Jeffrey Archer, Mitch Albom, Colleen McCullough.....You get the picture!  But I read in a lot of different genres.  So there is no telling what I will decide to read and write about.  Until I finish another book.. get yourself engrossed in a good book and travel the world..

"To read is to fly, it is to soar to a point of vantage which
gives a view over wide terrains of history, human  variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries".  
A.C. Grayling




No comments:

Post a Comment