Sunday, July 1, 2012

A little thought about a book I am reading...Some things I knew and a lot I didn't... Posted by Debbie Aycock Williams

On Writing by Stephen King is a book I have wanted to read for a long time.  Mainly because,  I read a lot of authors talk about what an essential it is to have on one's bookshelf if one likes to write or at least try to write.  I am three-quarters of the way through it and it is hard to put down.  King teaches writing in such a way that you don't even feel like you are learning, but you are.  You learn by listening to his story, not an autobiography, but his story about writing.  You learn by example. And if anyone can set an example for good writing it is King.  The inside jacket says it like this,"Brilliantly structured, friendly and inspiring, On Writing will empower-and entertain- everyone who reads it."  I couldn't have said it better.  It was an inspiring read with so much insight into this fascination writer.  I can't say that I have read all of his books but the one I have read I loved.  I have read The Talisman, Pet Sematary, Thinner which was actually written under the Bachman name.  I have a lot of catching up to do.  I started counting his published works and there were too many to count and not get confused.  This is one prolific writer.


If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write.  Stephen King


When asked,  "how do you write?" I invariably answer, "one word at a time".   Stephen King

No comments:

Post a Comment